Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How to terminate a ssh session to a cloud server that hanged

When working with Rackspace cloud serves you run sometimes to an issue with the remote ssh session that it hangs.

This is expected behavior. The session after some time of inactivity timeouts and in my case this led to my bash terminal session to hang. As I didn't want to terminate and close my  terminal to resolve this issue and as well as I wanted to keep my previuos log still available I was looking for a possible solution.

Solution

To terminate a hanged ssh session please type the following keys: [enter]~. 

Example 

root@mycloud:~# ~?
Supported escape sequences:
  ~.  - terminate connection (and any multiplexed sessions)
  ~B  - send a BREAK to the remote system
  ~C  - open a command line
  ~R  - Request rekey (SSH protocol 2 only)
  ~^Z - suspend ssh
  ~#  - list forwarded connections
  ~&  - background ssh (when waiting for connections to terminate)
  ~?  - this message
  ~~  - send the escape character by typing it twice
(Note that escapes are only recognized immediately after newline.)
# we waiting now for the session to timeout 
root@rctest:~#

# no press the magica keys :)
root@rctest:~# Connection to 83.138.183.15 closed.

References
  1. http://www.thelinuxblog.com/ssh-escape/

No comments:

Post a Comment